Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The 5K-immie

Several months ago, my friend Kimmie and I talked about running a 5K. It was going to be her first race and wanted a t-shirt. We found a 5K that was on a Saturday morning but unfortunately, they did not offer t-shirts. A few weeks later, Kimmie decided that she was going organize and put on her own 5k and call it the 5K-immie.

I have only run one other 5k and it was several years ago. My goal for this race was to run it in less time than I did last time. I accomplished my goal and ran the race in one minute and 19 seconds less! Last time after I ran the race, I just kind of stopped running. This time, I am signed up for the Pat's Run on 4/16 which is 4.2 miles so I HAVE to keep running!

Me crossing the finish line. Notice the cow from Chick-fila is holding the finish line. I love it how Kimmie was able to get him to come out. I think next year she should get them to sponsor the race! :)

Courtney also ran the race. She and I had been planning on running a 5k in January, but that never happened. But two months later, we accomplished our goal!

Kimmie and I...notice her t-shirt. She made them for the race and they turned out cute!

Thanks to my wonderful family who came out to support me. Saturday is Billy's only day to sleep in and he sacrificed for me to come to the race...THANKS BILLY!

Here is a picture of all the ladies that ran in the race. There were 22 people that ran it and the rest were guys.
A few weeks ago, I was thinking and realized that I have lost part of the athlete that I once was. I miss being active and really pushing myself to be physically fit like I want to be. I am excited to focus on that small part of my life a little more and not let it go by the way side...I am starting with running and hope to eventually do a sprint triathlon and maybe even more someday! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

glen, paige, & baby preston said...

KATI!!!! I need to start working out. Let's be honest, I probably wont start until after baby but I need you to help encouraging me! And guess what.... I'm going to be your neighbor! We just bought a house on chandler and 48th! WOO HOO!!

Unknown said...

YAY! There are so many things I love about this post. I love that, that girl Kimmie just up and organized her own 5k. How cool is that? Way to go on finishing your 5k AND beating your previous time! What a big accomplishment. Can't wait to hear more about your many more running accomplishments! And a sprint tri? you go girl!

Unknown said...

Rock on, girl! The only running I do is the "running to the store" kind, and, well, let's face it, we both know that's not real running. I am so proud of you for this major accomplishment, you are amazing!

Kimmie said...

Kati, you did SO awesome and beat so many people! I am really impressed and proud of you and all of us! Your inner athlete got lazy me to like running. And lets face it, its fun to run your miles with smiles!(:

mandy said...

just checking in.... what a bold and outgoing friend that kimmie must be! so funny!