Monday, November 14, 2011

Half Marathon...A Success!

I have always considered to be a sprinter over a long distance runner. When I was younger, I was always the fastest person on my soccer, softball and basketball teams. Since I was always among the fastest athletes, I preferred sprinting over long distance running. I always preferred to go fast so I could get the running over as quickly as possible. When I took anatomy at BYU, I learned that every one has slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. The slow twitch muscle fibers are found more in distance runners and fast twitch muscle fibers are found in long distance runners. Because of this and since I was fast and loved to sprint, I never gave much thought to running long distances...especially after I ran my first 5k in 2008 and I was so winded. However, over the last year, I needed to get back into shape and get my "athleticism" back that I felt I had lost. After I ran Pat's Run in April, I mentally and physically started preparing to run my first half marathon...and I did on Saturday! :)

Since I had worked so long to be able to run the half marathon, I got kind of nervous a couple weeks before the race. On my last long run, I ran 12 miles. I felt really good during the run, but a couple hours after I got home, I had some cramping in my stomach and didn't feel well. I was so worried that the same thing was going to happen after I ran the race. Fortunately it didn't! I loved completing the race most because it was something I worked towards for a long time and it was something I didn't think I could ever complete. As I kept passing the mile signs, I was more and more excited to finish the race and prove myself wrong...and I did! My goal was to run the race in less than 2 hours and 15 minutes and I accomplished that...barely! It was wonderful to see Billy and the boys at the last quarter of a mile cheering me on and I am grateful for their support!

Here I am rounding the last corner before heading into the stadium to the finish line. My cute little family was there cheering me on and gave me a little extra burst of energy to finish the race.


LaDawn and I after the race. Let me just say that I want to be like LaDawn when I grow up! She is an amazing runner!


Now it's time to figure out what race I will be doing next! People ask if I will do a full marathon next...the answer is no...I cannot see myself running for 4+ hours and I don't think I am ready for that challenge! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You rock, my friend. (As if you don't run around after your boys enough already.)