Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good-Bye Primary...Hello Young Women's!

About 7 weeks ago, the second counselor in the bishopric pulled me aside after church and asked if I would serve in the Primary as the Primary Chorister. I was shocked...I am not a singer and am not really musical at all. A former roommate told me once that I am more of a follower when I sing than a leader...so needless to say, being the Primary Chorister is definitely out of my comfort zone. I was ready for a change though and knew that was where the Lord wanted me. It was really my first calling in the Primary (except for two months in nursery right after Billy and I were married, but that doesn't really count because you don't go to sharing time or singing time). The first couple of weeks, I was really stressed out before Primary concerned at how it would go. After a couple of weeks, I started to get more comfortable. Last week, I thought singing time went really well. The junior primary was very involved and enjoyed the game we played to help reinforce the song we were learning (How Firm a Foundation is not an easy song to teach to 3, 4, 5 and 6 year olds...but I did it!). When Billy and I were driving home, he asked how singing time went. I told him that it was a lot of fun and I wasn't worried or stressed out at all. I told him that I was starting to feel comfortable and really enjoying the calling.

Well, I've heard that when you reach that point, you end up getting released. Well, that is exactly what happened. On Wednesday, I got a message from the first counselor in the bishopric wanting to come to our home and speak with me that night. I am glad that they don't really plan ahead, because I am someone who wonder's what they are going to ask of me. Well, that evening I was asked to serve as the second counselor in the Young Women's Presidency. I was surprised that my time came to a close in Primary so quickly, but I am excited to serve the girls in my ward.

We have a small Young Women's, so we don't separate Beehives, Mia Maids and Laurels, but we just have all our activities and classes together. I am excited to serve with them, and hope to be a good example and role model for them, especially since so many of them are lacking good examples in their lives. I am sure it will once again be a great learning expereince for me but I am looking forward to it. Wish me luck...we'll see how it goes! :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

You will love it! I have ALWAYS wanted to be in Young Womens - I think it is such a wonderful place to be. Hopefully one day I will get the chance too :) We will miss you in primary though! Good luck!

Mama Megs said...

You'll do great!(you have big shoes to fill ;) JUST KIDDING!!) Good luck and the girls are really great-they'll just love ya.

Chris and Kristen said...

Good luck and you will be awesome. I got my feet wet a little in the ward and it was tough in some ways, but fun in others. I'm sure I would have loved it had I been in for more than 2 months. You will be a great role model!

Julie said...

oh so fun! I am jealous I have always wanted to do Young womens! We need to hang out!

Kimmie said...

Young Women's sounds so fun, and you will be perfect for the girls! They will love you! I agree with Julie, we all need to hang out! BBQ next Friday (13th) at our house, or maybe Rob's parents cause it's bigger (: I'll call you!